The 2009 Symposium will start at 8:00 a.m. on Thursday, November 5 and concludes at 5 p.m. on Saturday, November 7.
Concurrent sessions and workshops will be scheduled on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Plenary sessions as well as invited colloquia will be held on Friday and Saturday.
There will be a Pre-Symposium Social at Dave's Electric Cafe from 6 to 8 p.m. on Wednesday. An opening reception, sponsored by Bedford/St. Martin's Press, will be held from 5 to 7 on Thursday, and another special reception honoring the editors and editorial board members of the Journal of Second Language Writing is being planned for 5 to 7 p.m. on Friday.
After hooking up with fellow second language writing teachers and researchers at these social events, participants are encouraged to enjoy great bars and restaurants in the Mill Avenue District and other locations in the 5th largest metropolis in the United States.
Pre-Symposium Social (RSVP requested). If you are arriving before Wednesday evening, we would like to invite you to join us for the Pre-Symposium Social at Dave's Electric Brewpub (502 S College, Tempe, AZ 85281) on Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. There will be a special discount only for Symposium participants. If you are interested in joining us, please RSVP by 5 p.m. on Sunday (Arizona Time/MST) at http://sslw.asu.edu/2009/social.html.
Program. The near-final program is available online in Word (.doc) format. If you are on the program as a presenter or session chair, please check the program for any last-minute changes. A hard copy version will be available for you at the Registration and Check-In Desk.
Registration Desk. Registration and Check-In Desk will be located in the Alumni Lounge on the second floor of the Memorial Union. The hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on all three days.
Fitness Facility. Symposium participants wearing the SSLW name tag will be able to purchase a 3-day guest pass to use the Student Recreation Complex for only $10. For details, please see page 5 of the program book.
Book Exhibits. The Book Exhibits will be located in the Alumni Lounge. The hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on all three days. Continental breakfast and refreshments will be available in the Exhibits area.
Guidelines for Presenters and Session Chairs. Guidelines for presenters and session chairs are available online.
Please see the Venue page for additional local information.
Thursday, November 5
- "On the Future of Second Language Writing: 10 Years Later," organized by Terry Santos
- "The Future of Foreign Language Writing," organized by Melinda Reichelt
- "The Future of L2 Writing Assessment," organized by Deborah Crusan (Sponsored by Assessing Writing/Elsevier)
- "Systemic-Functional Linguistics and Writing," organized by Maria Estela Brisk
- "Teaching and Learning of Writing in Asian School Contexts," organized by Icy Lee
- "L2 Writers in the Writing Center," organized by Carol Severino
- "The Future of Genre in L2 Writing," organized by Christine Tardy
- "Collaborations and Transformations: Building Bridges from Second Language Writing to Teacher Education/Development Teacher Preparation in L2 Writing," organized by Christina Ortmeier-Hooper
- "Re-Examining 'Generation 1.5,'" organized by Dana Ferris
- "Technology and L2 Writing," organized by Bryan Smith (Sponsored by Writing & Pedagogy/Equinox)
- "SLA and Second Language Writing," organized by Rosa
- "Institutionalizing L2 Writing," organized by Paul Kei Matsuda
- "Doctoral Program in L2 Writing," featuring L2 writing specialists teaching in doctoral programs
- "To the Next Generation," featuring Christine Pearson Casanave, Bill Grabe, and others
- ""What Am I Supposed to Say?" ESL Students’ Expectations of Writing Conferences"
- ""Who Did You Get for Freshmen Comp?" Instructor Differences in Feedback and Grading"
- ""I Want My Leo and Babelfish": FL-Learners of German and Online Resources"
- "“No Such Thing as Success”: L2 Students in a Mainstream Freshman Composition Course"
- "A Communities of Practice Perspective on ESL Graduate Student Socialization into Academic Writing"
- "A Comparative Study of ESL and EFL University Students’ Writing Goals"
- "A Comparison of Japanese and Taiwanese Students’ Summary Writing Operations"
- "A Genre Analysis of Essay and Letter Writing in the FL College Literature Classroom"
- "A Meta-Analysis of Strategy Instruction for L2 Writing"
- "A Meta-Synthesis of Multilingual Students’ Home and Family Literacies"
- "Academic Blogging: a Case Study of Generation 1.5 College Students’ Experiences of Weblog Writing in a First-Year College Writing Course"
- "Academic Literacy in Spanish University EFL Writing"
- "An in-Depth Look at the Education of EFL Writing Teachers "
- "An Investigation into EFL Writers’ Composing Process"
- "An Investigation of Metaphors in L2 Writing: A Corpus-Based Approach "
- "Analyzing Voice in Two Languages: A Case Study"
- "Are We Doing It Right? Assessment of Grammatical Ability in Second Language Writing"
- "Assessing the Impact of Cognitive and Metacognitive Strategy Use on Performance on Three Academic Writing Tasks"
- "Authenticity in the Composition Classroom: Literacy and the Global Voice"
- "Aynchronous Online Tutoring, Face-to-Face Tutoring, and Second Language Learning"
- "Balancing the Dual Functions of Portfolio Assessment: Lessons from a Case Study"
- "Benefits of Peer-Review on Reviewers’ Writing Quality "
- "Between Englishes: Chinese Students Preparing to Study in North America & What They Want from Writing Instruction"
- "Bridging the Gap: Composition and Applied Linguistics in the Writing Center"
- "Building Discourse Communities: Observing American and Colombian Teachers in Their Writing Classes"
- "Casting a Vision: Next Generation Writing Centers for Multilingual Graduate Students"
- "Challenging Stereotypes about Academic Writing: Complexity, Elaboration, Explicitness"
- "Comparing Content and Organization in L1 and L2 Academic Writing: Statistical Evidence from One Colombian University"
- "Comparing Type of Feedback and Processing Mode: Pair Versus Individual Processing of Feedback on Writing"
- "Composing Lives: Bilingual Literacy Autobiographies of University Freshmen"
- "Concept-Based Instruction and Second Language Writing: Theory and Practice"
- "Connective Adverbials: a Source of Cohesion in Learner Writing?"
- "Core and Periphery: Opportunities for Innovation by L2 Writers in a Disciplinary Genre"
- "Course Labels and Identities: A Study of Second Language Writing Classrooms "
- "Credibility, Identity, and Values: Personal Narratives on Electronic Bulletin Boards in China and Japan"
- "Cultivation of a Mosaic: a Canadian Approach to Multilingualism "
- "Differences Between Vietnamese, EFL and English Argumentative Essays: Pedagogical Implications for EFL Academic Writing Classes"
- "Discourse Patterns in G1.5 Student Writing: A Corpus-Based Comparison"
- "Effects of Pre-Writing Strategy Training on ESL Students’ Strategy Use, Writing Quantity, and Writing Quality"
- "EFL Versus L1 Writing Instruction in Brazil: Convergences and Divergences"
- "Electronic Feedback—From Students’ Perspectives"
- "Email Dialogue in Task-Based L2 Writing Classroom: Writers’ Rhetorical Awareness and Language Development"
- "Enabling Children to Write Better: a Case for Learner-Chosen Topics"
- "Error Correction in ESL Writing: Context and Methodology Matter"
- "Examining Sojourners’ Academic Literacy Socialization: An Ecological Perspective"
- "Explicitness in Computer-Based Feedback for Improving ESL Learners’ Persistent Grammatical Errors in Academic Writing"
- "Exploring Genres and Mediated Actions in EFL Students’ Blog Writing"
- "Exploring the Activity of Writing: a Cross-Case Study of Two College Foreign Language Classes"
- "Exploring the Relationship Between the Linguistic Features of Academic Register and Chinese EFL Students’ Argument Essays"
- "Faculty Expectations of Writing in Content-Area Classes"
- "Feedback in L2 Writing: Synthesizing Synthesized Research"
- "From the Border: Latino/a Graduate Education Students Writing Their Way into the Academy"
- "Future of Heritage Language Instruction in College Korean Courses: The Role of Heritage Media in Enhancing Heritage Language Literacy Engagement"
- "Generation 1.5 Students and Linguistic Patterns in Their Writing "
- "Helping NNES Engineering Graduate Students Better Understand Plagiarism"
- "How Do University Students Attempt to Avoid Plagiarism? A Grammatical Analysis of L1 and L2 Paraphrasing Strategies"
- "Improvements in L2 Writers’ Paraphrasing Skills for Academic Summary Writing"
- "Improving Placement Practices for Diverse Multilingual Writers: An Institutional Case Study"
- "In Search for “Robust Knowledge”: L2 Writing Pedagogy in EFL Contexts"
- "Incorporation of Service Learning in College English: Impacts on L2 Writers’ Invention Process"
- "Initiation and Development of Academic Literacy Through Scholarly Texts: A Case Study of a Japanese EFL Learner"
- "International and US-Educated L2 Writers Attending to Features of Language and Writing in Oral Conferences"
- "Intervening to Help in the Bilingual Elementary Classroom: Researcher-Teacher Collaboration for Developing Metacognitively-Strong ESL Writers"
- "Investigating Preservice and Experienced ESL Writing Teachers’ Written Feedback Practices and Beliefs"
- "Korean EFL Teachers’ Perceptions of Their Own Written Feedback"
- "L1 Involvement in L2 Writing: Which Way Works Better? Translation vs. Direct L2 Writing "
- "L1 Transfer in the Writings of Chinese EFL Learners: A Comparison of L1 and L2 Descriptive Papers"
- "Learners Helping Learners in an EFL Writing Center"
- "Learning and Unlearning Writing Practices: Reshaping the Notion of Transfer in Slw"
- "Learning to Play the Part: Second Language Writers Socialized into Academic Discourse Through Teacher-Student Conferences "
- "Learning What to Look for: Genre in First Year EAP"
- "Lexical Bundles in Second Language Writing"
- "Linguistic Features and Writing Quality of EFL Essays"
- "Linguistic Markers of Higher and Lower Quality Student Writing"
- "Lost for Words? The Strategic Use of the L1 in Lexical Searches in L2 Composing"
- "Mainstreamed L2 Writers: Are Their Instructors “Ready” for Them?"
- "Minor Hybridized Rhetorics: Challenging Essentialist Notions of Identity from the L2 Writing Classroom "
- "Multilingual Students, Their Views of Identity Labels, and First Year Composition Placement Preferences"
- "Negotiating Assessment in the L2 and Generation 1.5 Classroom Through the Use of Student-Generated Grading Rubrics"
- "Negotiating Identity from Autoethnography: Second Language Writers’ Perspectives"
- "Negotiating Intersubjectivity in English Blogging"
- "New Intercultural Rhetoric Approaches in Second Language Writing:"
- "Non-Confrontational Stance in Chinese Student Argumentative Writing in English"
- "Nurturing Independent Writers in an Introductory Composition Course for International Students: A Case Study of Multimodal Learning Environments, Course Outcomes, and Student Self-Assessment"
- "Online Writing System and Portfolio for First-Year Spanish "
- "Pedagogy 2.0: Cross-Cultural Composition Courses in the 21St Century’s Glocalized World"
- "Persistent Difficulties of EFL Learners in a Process-Product Based Writing Instruction: Exploring for the Future"
- "Planning Subprocesses and Second Language Writing"
- "Politeness, Cuteness and Conflict: Cultural and Philosophical Identity Clashes and Convergences for a Japanese Doctoral Student in Biophysics"
- "Portfolios as Used in an Egyptian Educational Context"
- "Powers: Peer Online Writing EFL Reviewers"
- "Pre-Service Teachers’ Written Communication of Math Understanding in a Second Language: What re the Language Demands?"
- "Prestige Writing in Biology: Investigating Stance in High and Low Impact Journals"
- "Problematizing “Scaffolding” in Adolescent Second Language (L2) Writing: An Interactive View from the Content Areas"
- "Promoting FL Collaborative Writing Though the Use of Web 2.0 Tools"
- "Prompt Equivalence in a High-Stakes Test of Second Language Writing"
- "Raising College Students’ Real Voice Through Online Dialogue Journal Writing"
- "Re-Appropriating the Amen Corner: A View of L2 Writing Beyond the Classroom "
- "Revisions in Real Time: Spanish Heritage Language Learners’ Writing Processes in English and Spanish"
- "Rhetorical Features of L2 College Students’ Argumentative Essays That Used Source Texts"
- "Rules on the Fly: Writing Center Tutors as L2 "Grammar" Instructors"
- "Second Language Feedback and Revision Research: Where Do We Go from “Here”?"
- "Second Language Writing in New Mainstream Secondary Classrooms"
- "Secondary English Teachers’ Views on Writing Instruction in EFL Context: A Case of Korea"
- "Silence and Listening as L2 Rhetorical Arts"
- "Situated Learning, Systems Thinking, and the Ecology of Publishing as an International Doctoral Student"
- "Spanish and Portuguese Writing-Enriched Curriculum Project: A Joint Project"
- "Espionage and My Failed Attempt to Start a Writing Center in Namibia"
- "Stop Babying Me! Using Authentic and Challenging Popular Culture Texts to Foster Proactive ESL Writers in the First-Year Composition Classroom"
- "Students’ Journey Trough Written Feedback"
- "Studies of Multilingual Writers’ Experiences at a U.S. University"
- "Success in Thesis Writing: An L2 English Writer’s Participation in a Research “Community of Practice” "
- "Teacher and Student Feedback in Written Commentary"
- "Teacher and Student Feedback on L2 Student Writing "
- "Teacher Raters’ Reaction to the Use of Metadiscourse in Chinese EFL Learners’ Argumentative Essays"
- "Teaching Coherence and Cohesion in Writing"
- "Teaching Elementary Writing Within (Socio)Linguistic Spaces"
- "Teaching Towards Diversalité in English: Putting English in Translation"
- "The Cultural Schema and EFL Student Writers"
- "The Effect of Protocol-Aided Revision Training on Korean College Students’ Argumentative Writing in English"
- "The Effect of Trained Peer Review on Argumentation and Fluency"
- "The Effectiveness of Checklists for Connecting Reading and Writing in an EFL Writing Course"
- "The Effectiveness of Corrective Feedback on Chinese EFL Learners’ Grammatical Accuracy Improvement"
- "The Impact(?) of Second Language Writing Research on U.S. University Foreign Language Instruction"
- "The Influence of Study Abroad Periods on EFL Writing Processes and Products"
- "The Interrelationship Between L1 Writing, L2 Writing and L2 Proficiency in Narrative and Argumentative Essays: a Case of Chinese Graduate Students in the U.S."
- "The L2 Learner’s “Reduced Identity” in Writing"
- "The Myth of Revising By Ear: Does It Help Second Language Writers?"
- "The Positive Role of L1 on L2 Writing"
- "The Relationship Between Advance Planning and ESL Writing"
- "The Relationship Between Writing and Speaking: An Effect of Pre-Task Planning"
- "The Role of Qualitative Dissertation Advisors in Contributing to Future Changes in Academic Discourse "
- "The Use of Source Texts in Chinese EFL University Argumentative Writing"
- "The Writing Center and Better ESL Writers"
- "Third Culture Identity Expressed in Online Communities: “Life is a Suitcase, Half-Packed”"
- "Towards a Better—and More Useful—Understanding of English Articles via Corpus Analysis"
- "Tracing a Process of Learning to Write a Research Paper: Proposing a Genre Knowledge Domains"
- "Tracking the Morphological Development of Written L2 French: How Do You Learn to Write What You Cannot Hear?"
- "Trained Peer Feedback: Low-Intermediate ESL Writers’ Revision Types"
- "Uncovering the Linguistic Diversity in a Writing Program "
- "Understanding How Students’ Learning-to-Write Process is Mediated by Their Teachers in the Chinese EFL Context"
- "Understanding the Process of Publishing Journal Papers from a Socio-Cultural Perspective: The Case of Hong Kong"
- "Using Ethnography to Teach English Academic Writing in China"
- "Using the Four Questions to Focus Student Writing"
- "Web-Blogging in ESL Writing: Weaving a Class into a Community"
- "What Multilingual Students Need to Know About College Writing: A Metacognitive Approach"
- "What’s the Task? On the Significance of Task in Teaching Writing "
- "White Prestige Ideology and Identity: ESL Composition Class as a Site of Resistance and Accommodation"
- "Who Gives Feedback to Multilingual Writers?"
- "Writing Center Tutors’ Questions with L2 Writers: How Effective They are"
- "Writing Centers and the Resident ESL Writer: Mapping New Routes"
- "Writing Collaboratively: a Peek into the Complexity of Molding a Single Text"
- "Writing for Publication in Peripheral Countries: A Case Study of Taiwanese Multilingual Scholars"
- "Writing Groups for Academics: Benefits, Logistics, and Privilege"
- "Writing Handbooks, L2 Writers, and the Selective Tradition"
- "Writing Process and Thai EFL Learners: Looking for the Future"
- "Writing Together for the Future"
- "Young Children’s Interpretation of EFL Writing"